Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Almost 30 years later, she was finally cool.


Sometimes personal validation comes from the strangest of places.  For me…today…it came from Harper’s Bazaar.

Finally, after years of feeling pitifully geriatric in my 28-year-old fashion sense, the ensembley eccentric brains over at HB informed me that the fall of 2012 was officially going to be the high point of my year.  Possibly of my life.  After countless seasons of wading through the unwearable muck of boho chic, animal prints, and neon jeans, they have finally come up with something I can work with.  No, not just work with.  Something I can master.

Granny-wear, with a subtle hint of militarization.  All the rage for fall, kids.  And praise Jesus, too, because this has breathed some life back into all those Peter Pan collars I’ve got shoved in the closet.  And my sock drawer full of prescription compression leg stockings to control unwanted swelling and unsightly varicose veins?  Très hip.  I knew if I just held out long enough, fashion would repeat.  Welcome to 1865.  Again.

Tweed, lace, collars, turtleneck sweaters, chunky crochet knits – good Lord – I think I even saw some hunter’s plaid in there.  As if I didn’t love the fall enough.  Now I can pretty much collapse blindfolded and drunk into my closet, roll around for three minutes and emerge looking effortlessly fabulous.  I couldn’t be more excited than if you told me dry, frizzy hair and crow’s feet were in vogue. 

So start raiding grandma’s closet, local estate sales, nursing home bridge clubs…whatever.  Fall approaches, and if you haven’t snagged yourself a pair of Velcro orthopedic sneakers by then I will absolutely make fun of you.  It’s about the only time in my life I am fashion forward…I’ve earned this.

No comments:

Post a Comment